For some reason, Japan and the US has had a long term affair with Godzilla or the idea of a Godzilla. There have been several movies dedicated to Godzilla, each holding it’s own merits. This Godzilla has the best special effects I’ve seen since Avatar. Since this is a fantasy, the plot can be as outrageous as Hollywood can make it. If I were naming this movie, it would be called Godzilla vs Alien Praying Mantis. Unexpectedly, Godzilla turned out to be the hero and the bad guy. A lovely family consisting of a husband, wife and son become casualties of a cataclysmic phenomenon. Actually the son and father survive. The movie picks up 15 years later when the son, Ford Brody, played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson is grown and dad Joe Brody played by Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad’s Walter White) is presumed crazy. Once we really get into this story, it’s all over the place. Since there are quite a few creatures, we are taken to many different locations that are being attacked. Ford has a wife and son who he is trying to get back to with the hopes of keeping them safe. Interestingly, the Japanese doctor played by Ken Watanabe, had the same look on his face throughout the entire movie. He looked shock and disturbed at all times. I think he was always in think mode and that was how he expressed that emotion. Just when you think the movie is over, we get a surprise twist. Godzilla didn’t quite come together the way I wanted it to but it held it’s own. I was entertained and as I said the special effects were awesome. If you’re going to see Godzilla, see it on the big screen. Godzilla 2014 is definitely better than Godzilla 1998 which was a disaster of a film starring Matthew Broderick.
- OPERATION FORTUNE: Ruse De Guerre (2023) – My rating: 7.5/10
- CREED III (2023) – My rating: 8.7/10
- TELL IT LIKE A WOMAN (2022) – My rating: 7.5/10
- COCAINE BEAR (2023) – My rating: 5.5/10
- THE MARTHA MITCHELL EFFECT (2022) – My rating: 8/10
- THE ELEPHANT WHISPERERS (2022) – My rating: 7.5/10
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA: (2023) – My rating: 9/10
- BARDO, FALSE CHRONICLE OF A HANDFUL OF TRUTHS (2022) – My rating: 6/10
- TURNING RED (2022) – My rating: 6.5/10
- THE SEA BEAST (2022) – My rating: 7.5/10
- MISSING (2023) – My rating: 7/10
- MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON (2021/2022) – My rating: 4/10
- MRS. HARRIS GOES TO PARIS (2022) – My rating: 7.5/10
- AFTERSUN (2022) – My rating: 3.5/10
- TO LESLIE (2022) – My rating: 9/10
- EMPIRE OF LIGHT (2022) – My rating: 8.3/10
- GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO (2022) – My rating: 9/10
- PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH (2022) – My rating: 9.5/10
- RRR (2022) – My rating: 10/10
- LIVING (2022) – My rating: 8/10
- A uTube Connection James’ World 2 uTube channel
- A-Spot Magazine — Blog site for a new and exditing magazine
- Candice's Blog — Contains interesting reviews of musicians and artists
- James' Funnies — When you are feeling blue, a joke might help to take the blues away.
- James' World — Insightful comments on the world at large
- James' World 2 — Human Interest Stories From the Internet
Reblogged this on James' World 2.
Pingback: MOVIE and DVD INDEX | CAROL's WORLD
you got that right – Godzilla goes back to when I was growing up… in fact the first Godzilla was made when I was a toddler – so you know it is OLD… 😀
I was about six when the first one premiered. So I have suffered through too many of them. Lol
Sorry CALM, I disagree. Godzilla was such a disappointment. It started off with such promise then sank into tedium. In spite of the back story, the characters were flat. Godzilla and the giant assassin bugs reminded me of Mothra’s addition to the old Godzilla movies. It was cartoonish. I am usually a special FX junkie, but even that didn’t redeem this. If is weren’t for the senior discount, I would have been angry that I had spent my money on this movie. We suffered through this one too.
The only good thing I said was Godzilla had awesome special effects. I said this one was better than the 1998 version. How good can Godzilla be. It’s a ridiculous fantasy that does hold its own judging by how many remakes there have been. I honestly don’t know how they make money on it. I enjoyed it for what it is.